We had a big weekend planned the first week of May. Hayes turned five months old, it was Mother's Day, and Hayes was being dedicated at church. What I didn't plan for was yet another trip to the pediatrician for Hayes's ears!
On Friday night, Hayes was up a lot between 8 and 11 pm, so I knew his ears were bothering him again. I ended up just letting him sleep in the swing so that his head would be elevated, and I slept on the sofa. I called for an appointment as soon as it opened, and I was so glad to hear that we would be seeing Dr. Mahan. We saw her for Hayes's first several well-child appointments, and I really like her. She confirmed that both of his ears were infected. She also was the first doctor who made any sense when it came to his weight. This appointment was almost exactly two months after his first ear infection appointment, and during those two months, he really only gained two ounces. It had me really worried because he had dropped below the 3rd percentile on weight. She actually listened to me and helped me come up with a plan to get some weight on him.
Dr. Mahan wanted us to come back in ten days to recheck his ears. When we returned, she thought they still looked a little infected, so she wanted us to see an ENT. He was able to get us in that day, and he gave us the good news that Hayes's ears actually were clear! He said that we may still have to consider tubes if Hayes gets more ear infections in the fall, but for now, we aren't going to do them.
The best news of the day though was that Hayes gained one pound in those ten days! I felt so much better about his weight. He's still only in the 3rd percentile, but at least he is making progress.
No comments:
Post a Comment