Sunday, February 7, 2010

Hayes Walker Thompson



On December 8, 2009, we welcomed our sweet baby boy Hayes Walker.  It was quite a day - one that we will never forget!

The week before, at my 38 week check-up, my doctor very casually - like it was just no big deal - said "well, we can induce next Tuesday if you want to."  I immediately started sweating!  I mean, I knew the baby was coming at some point in the next couple of weeks, but when she put a date on it, I got very nervous.  After interviewing all of my friends who have been induced and hearing mostly positive things, we decided to go for it. 


Here I am the morning we went in to have Baby Lucy - 39 weeks pregnant.

We arrived at the hospital at 6 a.m. and got set up in our room.  We were the only people having a baby that day, and we got a lot of attention with all of our pink stuff - the pink boppy, pink diaper bag, and wreath made of pink ornaments to hang on our door (so that everyone could easily locate our room).  The first nurse I had was definitely not my favorite.  First she offered some scary statistics associated with induction, then she told me I needed to wait to get my epidural until I couldn't handle my contractions anymore (which was so not what I was planning!), and then she did a terrible job with my IV.  Luckily, her shift ended an hour after we checked in.  My day nurses were terrific.  They told me I could go ahead and get my epidural without slowing down my labor, so we went ahead and did it.  By 8 a.m. they had started the pitocin drip and we were officially in labor.
Our last picture as non-parents!

Our families arrived around 9, except for my dad, who being the early bird that he is, arrived around 6:30 or 7.  I was feeling pretty relaxed from something they gave me along with my epidural, so I had a fun time just visiting with everyone.
Me with Dr. Smith

Me and Aunt Jen

With my mom and grandma

I made faster progress than we expected, and by 2:00, I was dilated to 10 centimeters and ready to start pushing!



Apparently, the baby was face down, instead of face up, and the head was not moving under my pelvic arch (whatever that is!).  I pushed for about an hour just to get the baby under the arch.  After that, I pushed twice more and our baby was born!  The nurses waited to call the doctor until the very end and the baby came out really quickly, so she didn't quite make it for the birth.  Luckily, I had great nurses who handled the delivery very well.


The baby was born at 3:10 pm, the exact same time as Trent.

Baby's first picture.

About the time that Jen took this picture, I looked down at the baby and noticed that her bottom didn't look like what I thought it was going to, even though I had been warned in our childcare class that it would be pretty swollen right after birth.  My confusion was quickly cleared up when the pediatric nurse said, "What a beautiful baby boy!"  At that point, I went from being confused to being in shock.  Although I was still pretty relaxed from the medication they had given me, my mind immediately went to the very girly (and carefully planned out) nursery we had waiting at home, as well as the complete girl's wardrobe with a bow to match every outfit.  Although I was so happy to have a healthy baby, I was sad that I wasn't going to get to do all of the girl things I had been thinking about for the past five months, nervous about raising a boy (the first boy in my family in a couple of generations), and sad that I hadn't been able to plan for him like I had for Lucy.  He didn't have a nursery and he didn't have any clothes!  I just remember my sister, who was in the room with us for the delivery, going over and taking pictures of the baby and looking back at me saying, "It's going to be okay - he's really cute!"  I'm sure she knew the thoughts going through my head.


My first good look at our baby boy!

 He weighed in at 6 pounds, 13 ounces.

We had to figure out how to break the news to our families who were outside in the waiting room.  We  knew they wouldn't believe it if just Jen went out to tell them, so Trent went with her.  My dad had ordered shirts that said "I Love Lucy" for everyone to wear after Lucy arrived, so we went with the same concept to announce our surprise.  Jen sacrificed her white T-shirt and luckily, there was a dry erase marker in the room.  Needless to say, everyone else was just as shocked as we were.  Luckily, we had discussed boy names before we had our 20 week ultrasound, so we were able to pretty quickly on a name for our sweet boy - Hayes Walker.  I think it will serve him well as he grows up (and I love that I got to use my maiden name!).

Walker family photo op
 Hayes' first close-up - what a cute boy!
 Erin and Kristi came (bearing "Lucy Campbell" cookies) as soon as they heard Hayes had arrived.  These two honorary aunts were just as stunned as everyone else.  We ate the cookies anyway!
Hayes with his grandpa - we're still not sure what his "grandpa name" is going to be - but I'm pretty sure he's pumped to finally have a little baseball player!

Although it took a little while to adjust to being the parents of a boy, we have fallen in love with little Hayes and are looking forward to baseball games, frogs in his pockets, and lots of other little boy adventures!

No comments: